Advancing Interspecies Science & Advocacy for Animals and Nature ….
See our many projects! The Gateway Species Project highlights cetaceans and elephants representing iconic entry points into the lives and habitats of ALL nonhuman species and cultures. Wild Ambassadors: Forging Human-Nature Alliances, directed by scientist Elizabeth Oriel, conducts citizen-science in Sri Lanka to mitigate human-elephant conflict.
Interspecies Collaborative Research, developed by Toni Frohoff (with Lori Marino) and similar endeavors are specifically designed to empower the animals whom we study and learn from. This is “Animal- and Nature-Informed Science” that keeps agency and control in the hands (or fins!) of animal collaborators. New advancements for interspecies wellbeing!
Why We Help
Some people talk to animals. Not many listen though. That’s the problem. -A.A.Milne
- Terramar Research fulfills a unique role: We specialize in cultivating and protecting the human-animal/nature bond through distinctive interspecies research and education that is animal-centric rather than anthropocentric.
- We go beyond studying what other animals are and explore the depths of WHO they are.
- We recognize the need for a more rigorous, expansive, and a multidisciplary approach to studying communication and coexistance between humans and other animals. We have pioneered scientific research on assessing and mitigating the impacts of Human/Animal Interactions on other species. This includes groundbreaking research into Interspecies Communication between humans and other species with an emphasis on scientific rigor and an absence of romanticization or exploitation.
- We have a rare opportunity and need to redefine our concepts of “animal” sentience, personhood, cognition, and culture in other species while refining our own human-nature. The time is now.
Who We Are
Advancing Interspecies Science & Advocacy for Animals & Nature
- Since 1998, TerraMar Research has been a 99% all-volunteer and truly nonprofit organization with a proven commitment to the study and protection of wildlife and the environment.
- Founded by Dr. Toni Frohoff, TerraMar has pioneered research into the timeless relationship between humans and other animals, specializing in dolphins, whales, and elephants. We identify these iconic animals as Gateway Species providing entry points into protecting the lives, well being, and habitats of all species.
- We work to bridge the divide between land and sea, science and stewardship, and humans and other species. Through research and education, we foster respect for the fragile but precious bond between individuals, populations, and cultures of all species.
- We rely solely on the generosity of others. To see some of the many supporters who have made our research and wildlife protection efforts possible, please visit our Special Thanks page.